Skip to main content
- OAV Set 3 Vocabulary
OAV Set 3 Vocabulary
PASS Set 3
- Mood – the emotion expressed by the author.
- Idiom – an expression that does not mean what the
words literally say. (Ex. It’s raining cats and dogs.)
- Main Idea – what the focus of the story is about,
what they are trying to tell you.
- Paraphrase – to restate the text or passage in another
form, without changing any details.
- Detail – a small part of the whole. (supports the main idea)
- Topic – The general idea of the story.
- Theme – The “message” of the story (Ex. friendship, justice)
- Tone – the voice of the author
- Author’s Purpose – to educate (inform), entertain, or
persuade (why he or she told the story).
- Free Verse – Words that are written without a certain
set of rules.
- Alliteration – when two or more words in a poem begin
with the same letter or sound.